Monday, January 7, 2008

Advise?

Around the time Ellie was born the American Academy of Pediatrics came out with a study that said giving your baby a pacifier at nap time and bedtime for the first 12 months reduced the risk of SIDS. So, my "pacifier-free baby" vision ended, and she got to suck away to her heart's content. (While she does use a pacifier for more than just sleep, we've managed to limit its use to the crib, car, and stroller.)

Here's my question: Now that we are approaching the 12 month mark and she no longer "needs" the pacifier to prevent SIDS, how do we get rid of it? Or do we even worry? Should we ween her off of it slowly, go the cold-turkey route, or just let her take her time and decide on her own?

Any words of wisdom out there?

3 comments:

Heather said...

I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to say it's so exciting to see your video of her walking! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We just got your Christmas card, and I had to come check out your blog. How fun!

As for your question, Tim used a binky in bed and in the car for several months, but by the time he was 9 months or so, it was totally sabbotaging his sleep and mine. If it fell out, he woke up and could not find it. I was probably up 7 times a night. I decided to do a cold turkey break, and within a couple days he never even missed it. In fact, it wasn't long after that he wasn't even interested in it if it was offered to him. ...so in his case, it was I guess more of an addiction than a comfort object. Cold turkey was pretty painless for us all. My friend had a really tough time getting rid of her daughter's binky at age two, so she recommended earlier. Another friend told me it would be easier before 15 months or so. I hope some of that info helped and that you have an easy time of it.

Caroline

Anonymous said...

Edward never wanted a pacifier, but Kieron was hooked. When we weaned her (at about one year), we cut the tip off of one pacifier and told her it was broken. We spent one miserable night (until at 2:00 a.m. I gave in and magically fixed the broken one with one from the drawer). After that one night, I only had the broken one for her. She was not pleased with me, but she didn't wail about it anymore either.