Monday, July 21, 2008

Fearless

Fearlessness is the character trait that landed Ellie (ever so briefly) at the bottom of the swimming pool on Friday. Ellie and I were playing in the shallow part of the pool when Ellie decided to get out. She started walking towards our towel, to get a new toy I assumed. At the last second she changed course and made a bee-line for the deep end of the pool. I immediately began "running" through the water to get to the pool edge before her, but failed. I saw she would get there before me, so I yelled for her to stop.

She looked at me, smiled, crouched down, yelled, "JUMP" and flew off the edge and sunk.

I was only about five feet away by that time and was able to scoop her off the bottom quickly, but those were the longest few seconds of my life. Ellie didn't seem fazed at all. The lifeguard arrived just as I pulled her out. He just shook his head and said he couldn't believe that she jumped. He saw her going toward the edge, saw me heading that way, and figured she'd wait for me.

Wait for me? Not my daughter....

Here are some pictures of a less eventful trip to the pool with our neighbors.




Ashlyn in the background.






All I can say is that I can predict Ellie and Jamison getting into trouble together in the future... Look at that smile! He's going to be a heart breaker for sure!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Swimming lessons...and lots of them....will keep your heart from leaping from your chest! At least she'll know how to float and not sink. Even now, my kids wear lifejackets at the lake....
Sis